There are no tickets currently available.
Kadina - Pattern and Sew as you go
Date – 28th August - 25th September, 2019
Day - Wednesday
Duration - 5 weeks x 6 hours
Time – 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Cost - $350.00
Location - Tafe SA Kadina Campus, 1A Doswell Terrace, Kadina SA 5554
How great will you feel when you can say ‘I made it’? Learn how to make a garment of your choice, using industry techniques for that professional finish. You will cover adjusting a pattern, cutting out, fitting, sewing and finishing your garment.
Using a commercial pattern for a simple garment (pattern to be purchased prior to first session), you will cover many aspects of pattern alterations and sewing professionally including:
• Reading and understanding commercial patterns
• Measuring and adjusting patterns
• Introduction to fabric knowledge
• Basic cutting skills
• Using a sewing machine / overlocker
• Learn various methods of sewing techniques appropriate for your garment choice
• Students may produce a variety of samples using various demonstrated techniques for future reference
• Discuss various methods and applications of utilising these techniques in fashion garments.
Many of these wonderful techniques and skills can be applied to create original and inspired contemporary fashions, accessories and homecrafts.
Completion of Certificate II or Certificate III in Applied Fashion Design and Technology (MST20616 or MST30816)
All machines for the course are provided by TAFE SA.
Students are required to provide the following:
(You MUST bring the required equipment to the first session,otherwise you will experience delays in starting your garment. Lecturers DO NOT provide this equipment.)
Basic Sewing /Pattern Kit
• Fine hand sewing needles
• Quick unpick or small sharp scissors
• Fabric scissors
• Tape measure
• 30cm ruler
• Paper scissors
• HB OR mechanical pencil
• Sticky tape
• Pen & notebook
Materials for garment
• Commercial pattern (pattern to be purchased) if this is your first experience sewing a garment, we recommend that you select a pattern that is easy, basic, eg. simple skirt.
• Fabric length (sufficient for garment)
• Quality threads for sewing and over locking (minimum 4 reels, matching fabric)
• Any trims, zips,buttons, press studs etc. that is required for the completion of the garment
• Any other items that are identified by your lecturer
The following equipment will be provided by TAFESA:
• Any pattern making paper needed for alterations
• Fabric for testing out pattern (calico or similar)
• Domestic sewing machines
• Domestic overlockers
For workshop safety you must adhere to the following policies:
• Shoes with a low heel and enclosed toes must be worn in the workshop, thongs are not permitted.
• Long hair must be tied back.
• Please refrain from wearing any long, loose or overly large jewellery when operating machines.
• No food or drink is permitted in work areas except bottled water.• No iPods or personal music devices are to be used in workshops or while operating machines
*Course is subject to minimum numbers